Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Lily in the Snow and Other Elemental Tales by Christine E. Schulze

Description


Jewett ran. 


He and the earth carried her, the earth granting a gracious speed, as if it could feel through his arms, the rarity of the gem he held, the urgency of its protection... 


Mica Schist, a rock Elemental, has always felt secure in her caves high in the snowy mountains. Protected by her adoptive older brother, Pearson, and befriended by the bats of her cave, it is the only life she has ever known. 


Until an outsider, Jewett, an earth Elemental, arrives, illuminating Mica not only to the possibility of a whole new world outside hers, but of a life with the young man who opens that world to her. 


When Jewett unmeaningly brings great danger to Mica, her only chance of being saved is to escape with him into the woods he loves so much; it is a dream any girl would have, to flee danger with her newfound love. 


But upon entering his world, she realizes how fragile she truly is, why Pearson always seemed too obsessed with protecting her. Jewett's world, though beautiful, is harmful; no longer connected to her rocks, their security and oneness with her, she finds that the smallest things in his earthern world hurts her. The simple scraping of her skin against the bark of a tree, her falling on the forest floor--even Jewett's touch. All of these, so harmless to anyone else, make the soft mica crystals covering her from head to toe shed away too easily. 


And when an Elemental loses all of her crystals, it can only mean one thing: death. 


How can Mica choose between saving her life and saving her new life with Jewett? 


My Review








My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is an anthology of short stories about the Elementals, of which I love to read about. There are six stories and each one is full of romance, adventure and even a bit of mystery. I honestly can’t tell you which story I enjoyed the most, though I think if I was going to be forced to pick one, I’d pick Lily in the Snow…. And that might just be because I enjoyed the ending.
I personally love Ms. Schulze’s short stories, just for the fact that they are fast paced and full of adventure and romance. Once you pick it up, you won’t be able to put it down. I know that I had a hard time, though after each story, I did take a moment to review in my head what had happened, and caught up with other books as well.
Overall, this was a great collection of short stories. I highly recommend this anthology.




Happy Reading!


Cana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for wanting to comment... I'll promise I'll do my best to respond to all of you!