Thursday, August 4, 2011

Highland Blessings by Jennifer Hudson Taylor

Description:

Highland Blessings is the story of a highland warrior who kidnaps the daughter of his greatest enemy and clan chief to honor a promise he made to his dying father. Bryce MacPhearson, a highland warrior, kidnaps Akira MacKenzie on her wedding day to honor a promise he made to his dying father. While Akira’s strength in the Lord becomes a witness to Bryce, she struggles to overcome her anger and resentment when he forces her to wed him, hoping to end a half-century-old feud between their clans. While Akira begins to forgive, and Bryce learns to trust, a series of murders leaves a trail of unanswered questions, confusion, and a legacy of hate that once again rises between their families. Clearly, a traitor is in their midst. Now the one man Akira loves no longer trusts her, and her own life is in danger. Can Bryce look beyond his pain and seek the truth? Will Akira discover the threat against her before it’s too late? How will God turn a simple promise into bountiful Highland blessings? 

My Review:
Highland Blessings

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Akira gets kidnapped on her wedding day, and ends up having to marry the century old enemy clan Chief, Bryce. There is a long row of murders, one including her own brother. Through it all, you are wondering if there will be a happy ending.

You really learn to like the characters, though I personally wanted to throttle Akira just a bit, because she is a bit headstong. Bryce is, of course, a stubborn man who would love to end the feud that has been tormenting the 2 clans for over a century- a feud that no one really remembers why it happened. Think of this as the Scottish Hatfields and McCoy fight.

There is a mystery on who is killing the people from both clans, and you are wondering if the good guys are actually the bad guys or is there someone who you haven't met yet trying to cause all these problems. You keep reading in hopes that a character you like doesn't get killed off.

For a first novel, I was impressed with Ms. Taylor's work. It was well written, with only a few holes that I would have loved to have filled in. The major "hole" for me was the agreement that Akira and Bryce had-- Abstinence until she agreed to consumate their marriage. The problem for me is that there was never a definite end to this agreement, but at the end of the book she is pregnant. Now, I took sex ed and realize that you can't get pregnant by holding hands or kissing, but I would have liked at least one chapter to have Akira say "Hey, you big lug! I love you and our agreement can now come to an end."-- Just say it in a Scottish brogue. That would be all it would take for me to make the leap from no sex to pregnancy.

Otherwise, it is a good book. I do recommend it, and I look forward to reading more by Ms. Taylor.

Cana

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for wanting to comment... I'll promise I'll do my best to respond to all of you!