Saturday, April 14, 2012

The Vampire Curse by S.J. Wright

Description:


Sarah Wood, after witnessing a battle between several powerful vampires on her land, is left stunned and feeling immensely guilty for having given permission for her friend, Alex, to be turned into a vampire rather than allowing him to die from his injuries. And though she tried hard to keep her sister, Katie from knowing about the whole vampire situation at their family's Inn in the wooded hills of southern Indiana, Katie became the victim of a kidnapping herself.

Sarah is left to face the return of her mother, who had abandoned the girls when they were children. She'll need every ounce of her bad attitude and quick temper to deal with the new surprises coming her way, including an illness that could very well leave the entire responsibility of the Inn and the vampires to fall onto the shoulders of her younger sister.



My Review:



My rating: 4 of 5 stars


In the second installment of the Undead of Brown County Series, we pick up right where we left off.  Now there are a lot of things that make me happy about this novella.  But there are some things that made me want to yell and throw things.

High points of this book are:
·         Backstory on Michael.  He is not as evil as you are first led to believe. 
·         More information on vampires, what their skills are, what powers they have, and how they can use them.
·         Sarah learns more of her heritage, of what it might mean to be a warden. 
·         We get to meet some new vampires, which spiced things up a bit.
·         There are hints of other paranormal elements, but no definites yet.  Would be nice to see some, I think.
·         Different POVs, which broke up the monotony.  Only issue with this is that the differences weren’t marked.  I’d be reading a chapter and think it was Sarah, and would only find out half way through that it was Michael. 
·         There was definitely a twist I didn’t see coming, and it had me kind of scared/upset at first.

Funniest part ever is what Captain Jones thinks of Twilight.   That had me laughing for quite a while, and that was refreshing for such a serious romance novella. 

Low points to the book are not many, but they make a big enough impression that I feel I should share. 
·         I hate to say it, but I do not like Katie as a whole.  She is a spoiled brat who seems to think she has the right to tell Sarah what to do.  If she doesn’t like Sarah’s response she runs off.
·         I was not happy with Sarah.  Love triangles are one thing, but blatant “lets screw someone because he is here” is quite another.  Not happy… Not happy… Definitely a yell and throw things part in this book.
·         Alex is an ass, and obviously becomes an even bigger ass when he becomes a vampire. 

I will admit, I was on the edge of my seat for most of this novella.  I’m dying to see what Isaiah is expecting from Michael, what it might mean to the entire vampire nation.  It does definitely make me want to see what is going to happen next!

Overall, this was a good little novella, and I do recommend it.  Here’s hoping that the next ones will be just as good as or better than this one.  



Happy Reading!


Cana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for wanting to comment... I'll promise I'll do my best to respond to all of you!