Saturday, April 7, 2012

The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley

Description:


Aerin, with the guidance of the wizard Luthe and the help of the Blue Sword, wins the birthright due her as the daughter of the Damarian king and a witchwoman of the mysterious, demon-haunted North.


My Review:


My rating: 5 of 5 stars

In this prequel to The Blue Sword, we get to see the history of Aerin, and how her life leads to the legend that guided Harry in The Blue Sword.
I really liked this book, because it explains a lot of what has influenced and changed in the time from Aerin’s day to Harry’s, but also what has stayed the same.  The North is still the enemy, though through this book, we discover that there is more relations with the North than the people of Damar would like to admit. 
I love how Aerin wasn’t thought to be a hero in her day.  Rather, she was an outcast looking to fit into the world she lived in.  Her only friend really was an old war horse and (eventually) Luthe and Tor.  The fights she goes through and the courage she has can be considered an inspiration for all those who are going through hard times in their life.
Filled with magic, battles, mysteries, visions, and the theme that no matter what the world thinks of you that you can still accomplish great things, this book is a great book to read when you need a pick-me-up.  Just be warned that there are some parts that are a little depressing, but trudge through them, and you won’t regret it. 
Overall, this was a great book, though I still prefer to read The Blue Sword, but it was still pretty good.


Happy Reading!


Cana

1 comment:

  1. I still have to give this author a try but it's on my to do list!
    Now following you via GFC :)
    -Kimberly @ Turning The Pages

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for wanting to comment... I'll promise I'll do my best to respond to all of you!