Saturday, April 21, 2012

A Kiss in Time by Alex Flinn

Description:


Talia fell under a spell...Jack broke the curse. 

I was told to beware the accursed spindle, but it was so enchanting, so hypnotic... 

I was looking for a little adventure the day I ditched my tour group. But finding a comatose town, with a hot-looking chick asleep in it, was so not what I had in mind. 

I awakened in the same place but in another time—to a stranger's soft kiss. 

I couldn't help kissing her. Sometimes you just have to kiss someone. I didn't know this would happen. 

Now I am in dire trouble because my father, the king, says I have brought ruin upon our country. I have no choice but to run away with this commoner! 

Now I'm stuck with a bratty princess and a trunk full of her jewels...The good news: My parents will freak! 

Think you have dating issues? Try locking lips with a snoozing stunner who turns out to be 316 years old. Can a kiss transcend all—even time?





My Review:




My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Talia is a beautiful princess that has been told over and over again to avoid spindles.  Unfortunately she didn’t.  Because of this failure to follow her parents warning, she ends up waking up (with her entire country) 300 years later by Jack’s kiss.  Jack is just an American that ran off from his tour group to explore Europe’s beaches.  Instead he got lost and woke up a 316 year old princess, who then decides to run away with him. 

So this cute retelling of Sleeping Beauty is good, but I still prefer Beastly to this book.  It wasn’t that this was a bad story, but I think the movement of this story was a bit different than Beastly.  But, overall, it is a good story.
First, there are some great character developments in this story.  Talia is a spoiled rotten princess whose only instructions are not to touch a spindle.  I loved the character development of Talia.  She goes from being a spoiled rotten to someone who cares for others and are willing to make sacrifices for others. 

I think I liked Jack the most though.  He finally developed the courage to tell his dad what he wanted.  He also realizes what he really wants in a girlfriend, and is willing to face the trials to win her back and to even save her. 
I did love the spin that Ms. Flinn put in this story.  We all know the story of Sleeping Beauty, but the actual characters, the circumstances that caused it and the resolution that occurred are things that we might never have thought of.  I know I liked how it turned out when Talia wakes up 300 years later.  The adjustment is amazing. 

The only real reason I didn’t enjoy this book as much was because of how slow it moved.  I honestly felt at times that I was working through molasses rather than a good book. 

Overall, this is a good book, and I do recommend it.  


  Happy Reading!


Cana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for wanting to comment... I'll promise I'll do my best to respond to all of you!