Saturday, April 28, 2012

Made Up by Emma Jackson

Description:


Life hasn't been much of a fairytale for Katia recently, but when she lands her dream job as a makeup artist, it seems like things might be about to change. 

Whisked off to join a film production in the vibrancy and magic of India, she has to face a fire-breathing dragon in the shape of her new boss and solve complex riddles, such as whether Owen Walker, the movie's gorgeous leading man, is a serial womaniser, a knight in shining armour, or something in between... 

Because learning to tell the difference between fact and fiction, might just be the key to finding her happy ending.



My Review:




My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Now, normally, I don’t read a lot of YA romance novels (actually, I haven’t really read any since high school… and that was a long time ago).  Personally, I prefer paranormal or fantasy.  But I must say that I gave this book a try to find out if I could stomach YA romance.  And I can honestly say that (at least with this book) that I can.  I thought that this lovely book did a great job of giving a lot of positive messages.  It is all about learning the difference between fact, fiction, and what you want things to be.  I also think it was a great way to remind people that the past is just one more stepping stone towards the future you want, and not to hold yourself back because of your past.

Other things that I liked about this book:

·         Katia!  Who wouldn’t learn to love her as a character?   There is great character development, and I love how the author plays out the story of her past and her coming to terms with it/moving on from it. 

·         The romantic play between Owen and Katia.  It seems more realistic than other typical romance story lines that you see.  This is not to say that if you became a junior makeup artist on the set of a movie or such that you would find your true love :P! 

·         Owen is not your automatic “Yes, I want to marry him” character, to me at least.  He is more of a “fix himself” character.  But that doesn’t mean that I didn’t enjoy getting to know him. 

Overall, this is a good first novel for Ms. Jackson, and I do recommend this book for those who might want to put their toe into the YA romance pool.  I think that I might enjoy reading more of her books in the future.



Happy Reading!


Cana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for wanting to comment... I'll promise I'll do my best to respond to all of you!