Sunday, March 25, 2012

Peeps by Scott Westerfeld

Description:


A year ago, Cal Thompson was a college freshman more interested in meeting girls and partying than in attending biology class. Now, after a fateful encounter with a mysterious woman named Morgan, biology has become, literally, Cal’s life. 
Cal was infected by a parasite that has a truly horrifying effect on its host. Cal himself is a carrier, unchanged by the parasite, but he’s infected the girlfriends he’s had since Morgan. All three have turned into the ravening ghouls Cal calls Peeps. The rest of us know them as vampires. It’s Cal’s job to hunt them down before they can create more of their kind. . . . 


Bursting with the sharp intelligence and sly humor that are fast becoming his trademark, Scott Westerfeld’s novel is an utterly original take on an archetype of horror.


My Review:



My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Life has never been the same for Cal after he had sex with some strange girl.  First time he has it, and he gets an STD that turns people into “vampires”, which is just an old fashion term for people infected with parasites.  Now, Cal must hunt down all the women he has infected, while trying to track down the woman who infected him. 
I loved this book.  I loved how Mr. Westerfeld wrote his version of the vampire.  But it wasn’t just vampires, but also a whole secret society with these vampires, one that is as old as time and is underground the cities that we know. 
A whole other spin on the vampire myth:  Vampires are humans infected with a parasite that starts to change their personality, preferences, and such.  The peeps now prefer red to raw meat, have increased senses, and are horny as hell. 
Hmm, the relationship between Lace and Cal was amazing.  Lace is skeptical, and Cal is struggling to control his horniness (Rubber band on the wrist thing sounds painful and funny all at the same time!). 
I loved how every other chapter was sort of educational on parasites.  You wouldn’t believe how many parasites there are, and how wide and varied they are.  Kind of amazing actually.  I also like how it points out that our world isn’t free of parasites in a world that is so proud of overcoming so many diseases. 
In a lot of ways, it scared me from being around by cats… It is like when you wake up and you see them staring at you.  Yep, there were a few nights where this book really did a number on me… But I guess it is a good book if it makes you think: “What if?”
Overall, I think this is a great book, and I highly recommend it. 



Happy Reading!


Cana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for wanting to comment... I'll promise I'll do my best to respond to all of you!