Thursday, March 1, 2012

Firelight by Kristen Callihan

Description:


London, 1881
Once the flames are ignited . . .
 

Miranda Ellis is a woman tormented. Plagued since birth by a strange and powerful gift, she has spent her entire life struggling to control her exceptional abilities. Yet one innocent but irreversible mistake has left her family's fortune decimated and forced her to wed London's most nefarious nobleman.


They will burn for eternity . . . Lord Benjamin Archer is no ordinary man. Doomed to hide his disfigured face behind masks, Archer knows it's selfish to take Miranda as his bride. Yet he can't help being drawn to the flame-haired beauty whose touch sparks a passion he hasn't felt in a lifetime. When Archer is accused of a series of gruesome murders, he gives in to the beastly nature he has fought so hard to hide from the world. But the curse that haunts him cannot be denied. Now, to save his soul, Miranda will enter a world of dark magic and darker intrigue. For only she can see the man hiding behind the mask.


My Review:





My rating: 5 of 5 stars


A wonderful tale that almost reminds me of a re-telling of Beauty and the Beast, that is if beauty had the power of fire and the beast was actually gorgeous instead of hideous.  AND then you add a mystery about who is killing people… Hmmmm, delicious!

I thought Miranda is a great female character.  She is strong willed and capable of handling things for herself, but she has a great tenderness and even great fear of what she is capable of.  She desires a family, safety, and happiness, but she knows that it is quite possibly not going to happen.  Worse are all the doubts that she has concerning her husband. 

I found Benjamin’s character a bit harder to understand, and occasionally a whiny ass.  You don’t really know for most of the book what is wrong with him.  Actually, there is a huge revelation that kind of shocks you about what happened to him and what it has done to him.  I wasn’t even expecting it honestly, which was kind of cool in that aspect.  Honestly though, I really just wanted to rip the mask off his face and tell him to man up most of the time. 

Personally, I’d love to tell you my absolutely favorite part, but that would give away a whole lot of the storyline/plot.  I will tell you that I loved when Benjamin finally reveals who/what he is and has become.  It is freaking amazing, heartbreaking, and sexy all at the same time! 

Overall, this is a great book.  There are plenty of twists and turns to keep you guessing and I’ll admit that that was nice.  Also, the character of Victoria is a great  character that has you wondering a bit too much. 

I highly recommend this book, and am looking forward to reading more from this series.  




Happy Reading!


Cana

1 comment:

  1. I was also very surprised by this book. It was a really nice read. I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as I did. You're right amanda was an amazing character in this world. I also can't wait to read the second one, great review.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for wanting to comment... I'll promise I'll do my best to respond to all of you!