Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Dreaming Awake by Gwen Hayes

Description:


She fell for him in a nighttime world. But the time for dreaming is past—and the here-and-now can be just as fragile their love… 


When Theia Alderson first encountered a mysterious, handsome boy in her dreams, she never imagined how finding Haden Black—and falling in love—could change her life. To save Haden, Theia sacrificed everything. And the dangerous bargain she made could have lasting repercussions. 


Now Theia has returned to Serendipity Falls, and she finds herself struggling with the same deadly hungers that have tortured Haden. When students at their high school fall prey to a mysterious illness, Theia can’t help but wonder if Haden’s control is slipping—and how much longer she’ll have a grip on her own. 


And still the nightmare realm of Under won’t let them go. Someone from Haden’s past is determined to destroy Theia from the inside out, starting with those closest to her, forcing Theia to choose between family and friends and a love that may have been doomed from the start.




My Review:


My rating: 5 of 5 stars


This story broke my heart, made me crave more, pulled my hair out in frustration, desire to have boyfriend like Haden, and feel just plain amazed.  When I finished this book, I wanted to cry because it was finished, but sighed with relief that there was resolution. 

Honestly, having had to wait for a whole year to actually read this second book to Falling Under was crazy.  I don’t like waiting (like any other avid book reader), but I will admit that it was completely worth the wait.  This book was primarily written in  Theia’s POV, though there was a chapter or two from Donny, Amelia, and Haden. 

This particular novel seemed much darker than Falling Under, I think primarily that is because Theia has the darkness of Mara’s demon blood now living in her own vein.  Theia’s struggles with the darkness that wasn’t there before, the struggles she has within herself about how she actually feels, and the changes all around her make for an interesting story that makes you wonder if you would be able to do the same things, make the same decisions that she did. 

I thought it was great that we learned more in this story about not only Theia, but Haden and his half-demon self.  The fact that it is revealed that a demon having sex with a virgin is like a demon version of a bar mitzvah was interesting.  Kind of makes you wonder if staying a virgin would be worth it if you fell in love with a demon.  But what made Haden so damn hot was the fact that he wasn’t willing to risk himself the loss of his humanity, and found the strength to preserve Theia’s virtue.  It was also a plus that he was respectful of her, treating her with old world charm and old school chivalry. 

For me, Varnie was my favorite character, though there was no POV in this book from him.  I will always love my favorite cross-dressing, 19-year old psychic who finally proved how brave he really was…. That and the reader will finally get to know what his first name is! 

Best part overall:  Last chapter, specifically the last 2 pages!  Can’t say much more than that, but OMGoodness, it was so “AAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCKKKKK! WHY THE LAST PAGE!?!?!?!?!?!?!”, that you can’t help but want to turn the page and see more.  Unfortunately, you can’t, but it is still worth it!

Overall, this book was freaking amazing, and I absolutely recommend it to you.  Looking forward to reading anything else from Ms. Hayes. 



Happy Reading!


Cana

2 comments:

  1. Oh...It drives me crazy when the last page ends with a cliff hanger. I hope that's not what happens in this book! It sounds great otherwise. I'll give it a shot if it doesn't end in a cliff hanger. LOL Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, there isn't a cliff hanger. This is the 2nd (and last :(. ) book in the series. It is just "oooh, I hope so", and you just assume it happens. That kind of thing!
      BTW, how much longer must I wait for your wonderful next book in the Hellbane series? I'm dying with anticipation....

      Delete

Thank you for wanting to comment... I'll promise I'll do my best to respond to all of you!