Monday, August 4, 2014

Death's Academy by Michael Bast

Description:

The Death’s Academy entrance exam for Midnight Smith is quickly approaching. There’s just one problem: Midnight is the worst exam taker the academy has ever seen. If Midnight wants to ever step foot inside the school, he’ll have to join forces with the hated Guardian Angels, and together face the deadliest creatures in the world—the dreaded Unicorns. Becoming a Grim Reaper has never been more hilarious!

Review:

Death's Academy by Michael Bast
3 out of 5

So, I normally don't read middle school literature, probably because I didn't read middle school literature when I was in middle school.  But, it was a cute book.  

What I liked:

I loved the pictures scattered through the book.  I wish there had been more of them.  
Some of the classes at Death's Academy sound cool, but others sound a bit disturbing.  


Mal was a great character.  I wish I had had a best friend like Mal when I was that age.  She is creative, and intelligent, which I like.  

What I didn't like:

I didn't like Midnight.  He was disrespectful, he was a rule breaker, and was really a irritating character. Not a great example of what you would want your own middle schoolers to emulate.  

Overall:

I though that this was a very interesting world, what with the hoodies, halos, shorties, and such.  But for me, this story was not exactly what I would prefer to read.  Another plus is that this book is really clean, though it does hint at curse words and there is potty humor (not my favorite, but I do remember middle school boys being really big into that).  Overall, this was a cute read, and if you have a middle schooler, this book might be a great one for them.  
Happy Reading!

Cana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for wanting to comment... I'll promise I'll do my best to respond to all of you!