Thursday, June 26, 2014

The Darkest Pleasure by Gena Showalter


Description:

Reyes is a man possessed. Bound by the demon of pain, he is forbidden to know pleasure. Yet he craves a mortal woman, Danika Ford, more than breath and will do anything to claim her--even defy the gods.Danika is on the run. For months she's eluded the Lords of the Underworld, immortal warriors who won't rest until she and her family have been destroyed. But her dreams are haunted by Reyes, the warrior whose searing touch she can't forget. Yet a future together could mean death to all they both hold dear..

Review:

The Darkest Pleasure by Gena Showalter
5 out of 5

If you aren't reading this series y'all, you better fix that mistake!  This delicious series is a must on your get-to-it-quick TBR list!

So, I'll be honest, I wasn't looking forward to reading Reyes's book.  He seems so tormented, and since he and Danika already had such a rocky start, I wasn't sure how well it would turn out.  Now, I regret that I was even hesitant to read this book, because it was awesome!

Can I just say that Ms. Showalter is one creative author!  I love how she has Hope as a demon.  Something so happy, light, and "hopeful" (for lack of a better word) being considered "evil" is hard to believe.  But the way Ms. Showalter described him, I can so see it.  

Reyes has dealt with and dealt out a lot of pain.  But no matter his attitude you still want him to have a happily-ever-after. 

Danika really grows as a character, even since the first book.  And I love when it happens and when the author makes it happen well.  She goes from a sheltered and gentle girl to a strong and wise woman.  

Cronus is such an ass!  But he seems to crave what it eans to be human.  Which could make things interesting.  

What a twist with who is running the Hunters!  I loved that!

It took several books, but (FINALLY) Aeron is finally back to being himself... Though you have to wonder how long it will be before the stress of what happened finally breaks him. 

I liked Ms. Showalters take on the All Seeing Eye... I had kinda expected a crystal ball or a mirror.  But what it actually turns out to be is so much better.  

Poor, poor Paris!  So close to a form of freedom, but he had to make that DAMNED sacrifice!  I wanted to yell, cry, and throw my book across the room!  Not fair!  But I'm sure Ms. Showalter will fix this... I hope that she will fix this... PLEASE FIX THIS!

I think it was amazing how Reyes wanted nothing but gentle kindness with Danika, but Danika proved to him that she could take anything he has to give.  

I think that my favorite stuff was how Reyes "rescued" Danika (with her help, of course).  And can I just say I appreciated that just because he was being transported by the portal/Eye, it wasn't a painless trip... Actually, it was kind of funny to just read what happened.   

Overall, this is a delicious book.  But be warned, there is mutilation involved with Pain.  Don't let that put you off because this book is a must read!

Happy Reading!

Cana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for wanting to comment... I'll promise I'll do my best to respond to all of you!