Thursday, June 12, 2014

A Witch's Handbook of Kisses & Curses by Molly Harper


Description:

Nola Leary would have been content to stay in Kilcairy, Ireland, healing villagers at her family’s clinic with a mix of magic and modern medicine. But a series of ill-timed omens and a deathbed promise to her grandmother have sent her on a quest to Half-Moon Hollow, Kentucky, to secure her family’s magical potency for the next generation. Her supernatural task? To unearth four artifacts hidden by her grandfather before a rival magical family beats her to it.

Complication One: Her grandfather was Mr. Wainwright and the artifacts are lost somewhere in what is now Jane Jameson's book shop. 

Complication Two: her new neighbor, Jed Trudeau, who keeps turning up half naked at the strangest times, a distraction Nola doesn't need. And teaming up with a real-life Adonis is as dangerous as it sounds, especially when he’s got the face of an angel and the abs of a washboard—can Nola complete her mission before falling completely under his spell?

Review:

A Witch's Handbook of Kisses & Curses by Molly Harper
5 out of 5

The first sentence mad em laugh out loud!  It was hilarious!  And my co-workers didn't seem to appreciate it or its humor like I did, but their opinion really doesn't count, now does it :-P

The way Nola described Mama Ginger's Precious Moments collection was too funny for words.  I never thought of them as porcelain machete-welding creatures... But now I think I agree.

The seance was a bit interesting.  Between Andrea, Nola, and Jane, I couldn't help but giggle at the use of the die and the Ouija board.  Never would have thought of that, but it is pretty ingenious.  

Jed... The Greek-statue-come-to-life... What a great character!  He is a mystery & sweet tea with a slice of pecan pie kind of character... So just plain yummy!  And his "curse" was so interesting, so unique.  I don't think that I have ever read of a curse that was like that... So very cool.

What a twist about Nola's mother!  Didn't see that one coming.  I love it when an author can surprise me!

Overall, this is a great little book!  I highly recommend it, even if you haven't read the other books!
Happy Reading!

Cana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for wanting to comment... I'll promise I'll do my best to respond to all of you!