Monday, June 9, 2014

Divergent by Veronica Roth


Description:

In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue--Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is--she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are--and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes exasperating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threaten to unravel her seemingly perfect society, Tris also learns that her secret might help her save the ones she loves . . . or it might destroy her.

Review:

Divergent by Veronica Roth
5+ out of 5

So, my friend Kelly insisted for a while that I need to read this book.... Actually, she insisted everyone to read this book.  And for a while I didn't listen.  Then my wonderful boyfriend got me the book, and I am now officially like my friend Kelly.  You really need to read this book.  

I find the idea of the different factions to be interesting.  To completely devote your life to one thing, one limiting thing, would be so hard.  Unfortunately, I think I'd be the one who would be one of the factionless.  

So, there were a lot of things that I found interesting and/or surprising.  

  1. Like how Tris had never had a hamburger before!  OMGoodness, I love hamburgers!  I can't imagine growing up without ever having eaten one before.  I would never consider a a hamburger a luxury or an extravagance.  
  2. I found it iteresting that Tobias is also divergant, but his level is a lower degree of divergent.  I definitely wasn't expecting that there are varying degrees of it.  
  3. The biggest surprise came when it was revealed that Tris' mom was orginally dautless.  But the bigger mystery is what she wants Tris and her brother Caleb to do.  And then we find out that she is divergent as well.  Which makes me wonder if being divergent is genetic?
Divergent... It is something dangerous in this society, something free, something different.  But we really don't understand what it really means to be divergent or what it means for that society.  What we do know is that divergent means death.

For being Tobias from Abnegation was kind of expected.  But the fact that he ends up caring for Tris was not.  He is everythig that Tris needs, which helps balance out everything about Tris.  

I didn't trust the Erudites from the get go.  I knew that they were hiding something.  And I don't like people hiding things... It puts me on edge.  

Poor Al!  He struggled from the beginning with being Dauntless the way Eric thinks it should be.  But the fact that he helps Peter to do that horrible thing, and then commits suicide causes mixed feelings.  Either way, I agree with Tris that becoming factionless is better than being dead.  

I could not stand Peter!  He is a horrible little maggot.... and I kind of hoped that something horrible would happen to him. 


The loss of Tris' mom, dad, and will are just the sound bells of all the losses that anyone feel s when they are at war.  But that doesn't make it easier.  I find it incredibly brave and selfless that Tris was able to continue.  

Overall, this is an amazing book!  I love it!  And I can't wait to read the rest of the series!
Happy Reading!

Cana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for wanting to comment... I'll promise I'll do my best to respond to all of you!