Monday, August 12, 2013

Audio Book: Dark Triumph by Robin LaFevers


Description:

Sybella's duty as Death's assassin in 15th-century France forces her return home to the personal hell that she had finally escaped. Love and romance, history and magic, vengeance and salvation converge in this thrilling sequel to Grave Mercy.

Sybella arrives at the convent’s doorstep half mad with grief and despair. Those that serve Death are only too happy to offer her refuge—but at a price. The convent views Sybella, naturally skilled in the arts of both death and seduction, as one of their most dangerous weapons. But those assassin's skills are little comfort when the convent returns her to a life that nearly drove her mad. And while Sybella is a weapon of justice wrought by the god of Death himself, He must give her a reason to live. When she discovers an unexpected ally imprisoned in the dungeons, will a daughter of Death find something other than vengeance to live for?

Review:

Dark Triumph by Robin LaFevers
5 out of 5

I loved the first book of Killer Ninja Nuns (yes, this is what this series is to me, and I LOVE IT!).  So of course, I was going to read/listen to this book… And guess what, I loved this book too!

Characters

I love learning more about Sybella.  Learning her history, who she is, and that she isn’t just the crazy girl sent to the convent.  She has already had lovers, and had already killed people before going to the convent, and that she already knew the danger of evil men.  But you can’t help but feel bad for her as well.  So many things have been forced upon her (there is even a hint that she might have been raped at one point, possibly by her brother), and she has the guilt of many things upon her shoulder. 

Oh, Beast is my favorite character.  The description of him fighting makes me want to join him, but more so, he is so gentle with Sybella.  Just the way he does it, it makes me want to weep with joy, because if anyone deserves a happy ending, it is Sybella and Beast.

I love how Beast helps everyone he comes across that he needs.  And I love how that frustrated Sybella every time he did it.  But they were so cute together.

Oh my goodness!  I thought that I didn’t like the Abbess before, but now, after her betrayal towards Sybella, I really dion’t like her.  She almost seems to be another villain.  What are her plans?  What is she up to?  Whatever it is, I have a feeling it isn’t good!

The Duchess seems to be so wise to be so young.  But she carries the weight of her people, so I guess it would be inevitable for her to mature faster than other 13 year olds. 

Everything Else

I liked how we do a bit of back tracking to the battle in the first book, Sybella is desperate to save Ismae and the Duchess.  As she watched Beast fight for the Duchess, she can’t help but admire him, and I can’t either.  But honestly, the first chapter leaves so many questions for the book to answer… You can’t help but desperately want to know more about Sybella’s past, and you can’t help but want to know more about Beast and what happens to him. 

I know something horrible happened to Sybella, but early on, I kind of guessed what it was.  I hurt so badly for Sybella.  No one should have to experience that.  But she rises above it, saving and comforting those in need. 

I loved getting to see Ismae and Duvall again!  I loved how they showed up, how they play well placed secondary characters, and how we see their relationship continuing to grow.  I loved it all!

I loved how Beast shows Sybella that he forgives ALL her sins.  He reminds her that she holds guilt for things she cannot, could not, control.  That he shows her that he cares for her, just the way she is makes it all the more special. 

Overall


Overall, this was an amazing read.  I loved it so much, and I look forward to seeing more from this series.  

Happy Reading!

Cana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for wanting to comment... I'll promise I'll do my best to respond to all of you!