Sunday, October 28, 2012

Dark Dealings by Kim Knox



Description:

There are monsters in the city. And one of them is her

Ava Kalle's empty soul devours magic. And her hunger is deadly. She's sharp, quick and can live in shadow, making her work as a spy for the Mages a natural choice. She lives on the fringes of society and likes it that way.

When the man she loves takes another woman for his mate, the darkness in her heart unravels and she'll do anything to get him back. She makes a dangerous deal with a fire elemental, Heyerdar, who has a vested interest in agreeing: together they'll use forbidden magic, harnessing their sexual energy to drive the couple apart.

But soon their pact pushes them both into a dark sexual obsession. One that Ava may not be able to control

My Review:


My rating: 4 of 5 stars


What a hot little number of a book!  Think of this as the sexy clubbing LBD that you would wear to seduce someone… Well, Ms. Knox, your book did it’s job! 

So, what did I think of Ava:

Ava is a thief, a magical being whose soul is “empty”… Pretty much this means she is a magic eater/thief.  At first, I wasn’t exactly sure what that meant, but then it made sense.  Like, “Oh, that is what that means!” understanding. 

I think she is such a strong character because she fears herself, and what she might do.  And yet she still desires to be loved and cherished and (generally) doesn’t let being a thief hold her back.  I think that it also makes her life even harder that she is an outcast.  It makes you want to cheer her out to get what she wants.

What I think of Heyerdar:

Heyerdar is a fire elemental who likes to walk NAKED in the sun every morning.  I think that it definitely makes it a fun perk of the book.  To read how everyone goes out to watch him, how people talk about it, and probably desire him.  And yet, he does it with an extreme amount of confidence and (can I say this) cockiness….

I think as a character, He is controlling, he is an ass, and frustrating beyond beliefe, but he truly seems to care about Ava.  Maybe not to much at first, but it definitely happens.

I think what makes him the best (other than those special little scenes with Ava), is how he not only wants to learn, but wants Ava to learn about who she is, not just as a thief, but also as a person.  Through books and experimenting, they together learn who they are as individuals and together. 

Other Characters:

Reist, oh how I hate him!  I didn’t like him from the beginning.  He struck me as one of those incognito asses.  You know the ones.  They are the ones you think are nice, wonderful, and respectful guys, but in all reality they are asses who are mean, horrible and just plain man slut.

So what did I like/love:

I loved how this book has everything:  Intrigue, romance, sex, magic, betrayal, and even a happy ending.  I find that it is a more than just a “nice story” where 2 people with similar goals accidently end up together in the end.  I know, that is really corny, but it is true! 

Another perk was that it is a very adult story, but sex is not the main driving force of the story… Well, it is part of the main driving force.  But there is an actual purpose for it in the story, it gives movement to the plot:  to provide magic for Ava to eat. 

I think that the back story of the “controlled” thieves and their rampage through the city definitely keeps you guessing on who is doing it.  I mean, I tried to figure out who the actual villain was, but let me tell you, I never expected who it was. 

Overall, this is a good book and an easy read.  I definitely recommend this for all those who are 18 and older. 


Happy Reading!

Cana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for wanting to comment... I'll promise I'll do my best to respond to all of you!