Saturday, January 21, 2012

Vampire Blues by Stephany Simmons

Description:


Lian and Figg are still recovering from events that almost destroyed their lives, but when a good friend comes to them with a serious problem, they can't turn him away. Soon, Lian and Figg are neck-deep in local vampire politics and framed for a massacre they had little to do with. On top of that, the local werewolf pack is sniffing around, looking for favors.


My Review:




My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Vampires, Werewolves, and Ghosts, Oh My! In the second installment in Ms. Simmons’ series, poor Figg and Lian just seem to be trying to get completely on their feet (and remodeling the pub into a bar) after the zombie attack when a hunter is attacked by a werewolf, with the threat of him becoming one. Then poor Carl is being harassed by vampires, and the werewolves really need to get involved because of the hunter. To top it all off, another vampire shows up seeking help for his stalker in a mini van.


If things couldn’t get any worse, Figg and Lian are trying to figure out what they mean to each other. The question is, will the vampires, werewolves, witches, sorcerers, hunters, and all the ghosts in between will back off long enough for them to think.


Ever read a book, and go “Damn! It ended, and now I have to wait for the next one!”? Well, then this is going to be one of those books. I was so sad, irritated, frustrated, and a bit peeved that it ended and that I now have to wait for the next book to come out… Because it was THAT good.


Personally, I want to grow up just like Figg, especially after reading this book. Not only does she look killer in a pair of impossible heels, she is killer herself. She fights with several vampires, with and without weapons, faces some werewolves and several other shape shifting or “mythical” creatures, all the while as she creates new friends and enemies along the way. Again, I must know where she gets her “Mary Poppins’” purse, because I so desperately need one.


Lian is now starting to grow on me. Before, he seemed a bit unattainable. Now, he is showing his human side, one that is more than willing to strip Figg down to make sure no one (specifically some weres) can claim her. I think in some ways he is realizing his need and desire for Figg, and he is doing it a whole lot faster than she is.


Again, Carl and Boyd are a hoot, though I wish there had been a few more Boyd conversations as I find the 1970’s Gay Ghost to be absolutely hilarious. Plus, we get to meet some new characters that do add some hilarity to the whole mix.


I really liked Skip, and the unusualness of him being a vampire. You normally think of cute/sexy, “Please Mr. Vampire, take my blood and whatever else you want” kind of vampire. Well, he is so not that. Rather, he is a nerdy, pudgy vampire that seems to warrant sympathy rather than lust. Actually, I found Ms. Simmons’ whole vampire myth spin to be refreshing in a lot of ways.


The great thing about this book is that there was fighting, plus a bit of a mystery, and a nice twist in the story line. You can’t help but try and figure out what is going on. Plus the nice happy ending for Figg and Lian was great. There was even bit of a nice sex scene, which was a nice surprise. Though, I think my favorite part of the whole thing was when Lian had to cover Figg with his scent. Can’t say much beyond that, but definitely the funniest, most frustrating part of the whole book!


Overall, I was very pleased with this book and am now DYING for the next one. I hope I don’t have to wait too long on that. Highly recommend.




Happy Reading!


Cana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for wanting to comment... I'll promise I'll do my best to respond to all of you!