Thursday, March 13, 2014

Immortal Instruments: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare


Description:

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing―not even a smear of blood―to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know... 

Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare's ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end.

Review:


Immortal Instruments: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
4 out of 5

Simon is so precious... I mean, he so reminds me of some of my guy friends in high school, and that is cute.  Really, I felt a bit sorry for him when he became a rat, but I couldn't help but laugh.  I think that the whole situation was a wonderful break from the more serious subjects in this novel.  


Clary seems a bit dense... She doesn't seem to get the simple everyday things, though she seems to understand the shadow hunters world much easier than the mundane world.  And that just doesn't make sense to me.  

Jace appears to be an ass, but he does make me laugh with his snide comments.  

Poor Alac... To have to hide who he is from friends, family, and the world is sad.  

Isabell is kind of irritating... Really like a spoiled brat that has never been told no.  I just want to shake her until her teeth rattles.  

Hodge is an interesting character.  He knows a lot, sees a lot and only reveals what he feels he needs to, a little at a time.  I wondered what he was hiding, but by the end of the book, it made sense.  

Magnus Bane was pretty cocky, but I think he truly has a good heart.  He wants to help, but has no way to do much.

Unfortunately by the time the big "mystery" of who Clary's parents are... It wasn't that surprising.  All the clues were there, so it wasn't as big a deal for me by the time it was revealed.  

I loved Jace's birthday meal, surprise, and gift.  It showed that he was thoughtful and liked Clary enough to do something nice for her. 
I was a bit disturbed by the whole "guess what? Jace is your brother, Clary" thing.  But it is too convenient.  

Overall, this is a good book, but I'm not sure I want to read the rest of this series.  
Happy Reading!

Cana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for wanting to comment... I'll promise I'll do my best to respond to all of you!