Thursday, May 9, 2013

Shifting Dreams by Elizabeth Hunter


Description:

Somedays, Jena Crowe just can’t get a break. Work at her diner never ends, her two boys are bundles of energy, and she’s pretty sure her oldest is about to shift into something furry or feathery. Added to that, changes seem to be coming to the tiny town of Cambio Springs—big changes that not everyone in the isolated town of shapeshifters is thrilled about.

Caleb Gilbert was looking for change, and the quiet desert town seemed just the ticket for a more peaceful life. He never counted on violence finding him, nor could he have predicted just how crazy his new life would become.

When murder rocks their small community, Caleb and Jena will have to work together. And when the new Chief of Police isn’t put off by any of her usual defenses, Jena may be faced with the most frightening change of all: lowering the defenses around her carefully guarded heart.

Shifting Dreams is the first novel in Cambio Springs, the new paranormal romance series from Elizabeth Hunter, author of the best-selling Elemental Mysteries series.

Review:

Shifting Dreams by Elizabeth Hunter
5 out of 5

I loved Ms. Hunter’s Elemental Mysteries.  So when I saw that she was now going to be going onto shifters, I kind of got a bit excited.  Then my friend at Bending the Spine told me that it was so delicious that she couldn’t wait for the next book, I KNEW right then that I had to read it. And I’m so glad I did!

Characters

Jena is such an interesting character: Single mother of 2, a shifter, a diner owner, and a woman who is lonely.  No wonder she is attracted to yummy Caleb.  But beyond that, she is loyal, protective, and courageous.  She doesn’t back down just because she has been told. I loved that about her. 



Caleb is what I like to call a “wounded Hero”.  He has seen horrible things, and has even done so to protect people.  But that doesn’t mean he doesn’t feel the guilt of it.  But the way he carries on, and works on relieving his guilt is what makes him such a great character.

OMGoodness!  Ollie did not get enough book time… Nor do I want to wait too long for his book!  I loved that he was a big teddy bear, and now I want an Ollie of my own!

Everything else

Personally I loved learning about shifters and skinwalkers.  It wasn’t overwhelming or confusing like I was kind of expecting it to be.  I loved that it was something that I could understand and get into. 

In the beginning I tried hard to figure out why Jena and Caleb kept thinking they knew each other.  And then as I was about half way through the book, I started to realize why.  They were like souls.  They were meant to be, and to learn from each other.  It wasn’t that they were soul mates (I don’t really believe in those), but their experiences, their lives made them similar enough to recognize it in each other.

Can I just say that I feel like Charlie set Caleb up to fall for Jena.  A supernatural matchmaker, if you will.

I hate what happened to Alma Crowe! She seemed to be an extremely fun character that had a fun sense of humor.  I would have loved to get a bit more time with her.

Oh, this mystery was sooooooooooo good!  I kept guessing on who it was, why they did it, and how they did it.  But I was till wrong on most accounts!  I do occasionally love it when I’m wrong (which is very rare :P).

Overall?  I believe this is in my top 10 books that everyone must read.  I loved it, and I highly recommend it!



Happy Reading!

Cana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for wanting to comment... I'll promise I'll do my best to respond to all of you!