Thursday, August 2, 2012

Once Burned by Jeaniene Frost

Description:


She's a mortal with dark powers...

After a tragic accident scarred her body and destroyed her dreams, Leila never imagined that the worst was still to come: terrifying powers that let her channel electricity and learn a person's darkest secrets through a single touch. Leila is doomed to a life of solitude...until creatures of the night kidnap her, forcing her to reach out with a telepathic distress call to the world's most infamous vampire...

He's the Prince of Night...

Vlad Tepesh inspired the greatest vampire legend of all—but whatever you do, don't call him Dracula. Vlad's ability to control fire makes him one of the most feared vampires in existence, but his enemies have found a new weapon against him—a beautiful mortal with powers to match his own. When Vlad and Leila meet, however, passion ignites between them, threatening to consume them both. It will take everything that they are to stop an enemy intent on bringing them down in flames.



My Review:



My rating: 5 of 5 stars

We have all read a book that has you lock yourself in your bedroom with enough food, drink and other items that you can find no reason to leave the room and stop reading.  Then you read it in 24 hours, and you love it so much, that you want to cry, scream, and throw things when it ends. And this was exactly one of those books.

Vlad, who honestly is one of my favorite vampires, has always seemed dark, violent, and just plan delicious.  I had gotten familiar with him from the other Night Huntress books, so I already knew that he seemed to be an interesting vampire.  But this book makes him so much more.  Delicious is still on the list, but you can’t help but want to take this centuries-old vampire, have your way with him, and help him with whatever issues he carries with him.  I loved his possessiveness and his protectiveness.  He also has a wonderfully dark sense of humor which I found very entertaining.

Leila was a great character, and I think it is appropriate to get to know her in this book.  She is guilt ridden, and has powers that she feels like she has no control over.  She tries hiding from the world, but quickly the world comes looking for her.  Her feelings toward Vlad are great, but better yet is how she accepts him (generally) for how he is.  I did enjoy a new twist on the paranormal with Leila’s powers.  Not only can she act like an electric power source, but can also see a person’s deepest darkest sin with just a touch of her right hand.  Worse yet, she can also learn a person’s past, present, and future if she sorts through it. 

I did get a bit frustrated with Leila’s stubbornness.  She delayed her getting with Vlad (stupid girl!), and then she made a point after they got together to avoid Vlad because she didn’t like something he did to protect her and others under his command. 

I think this was a great book to not only get to know Vlad better.  I think it was great to get introduced to a new villain.  I like how nothing at the end was completely resolved.  There was a lot more coming that we hopefully will get to see in the next book. 

I enjoyed that we had a quick appearance from Mencheres, Kira, Cat, and Bones.  I think that it was a nice way to hand over the reins to this new series in the Night Huntress world.  I also enjoyed getting to know new vampires that we hadn’t had a chance to in the other books.  Marty, Shrapnel, and Maximus were all great vampires to get to know, and you almost want to see what might happen with Maximus have feelings for Leila. 

Overall, I loved this book, and I highly recommend reading it!  And now I must wait until 2013 for the next one to come out!  L, can you please make it 2013?



Happy Reading!


Cana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for wanting to comment... I'll promise I'll do my best to respond to all of you!