Saturday, August 11, 2012

ARC Review: Kissing Shakespeare by Pamela Mingle

Description:


Miranda has Shakespeare in her blood: she hopes one day to become a Shakespearean actor like her famous parents. At least, she does until her disastrous performance in her school's staging of The Taming of the Shrew. Humiliated, Miranda skips the opening-night party. All she wants to do is hide. 

Fellow cast member, Stephen Langford, has other plans for Miranda. When he steps out of the backstage shadows and asks if she'd like to meet Shakespeare, Miranda thinks he's a total nutcase. But before she can object, Stephen whisks her back to 16th century England—the world Stephen's really from. He wants Miranda to use her acting talents and modern-day charms on the young Will Shakespeare. Without her help, Stephen claims, the world will lose its greatest playwright. 

Miranda isn't convinced she's the girl for the job. Why would Shakespeare care about her? And just who is this infuriating time traveler, Stephen Langford? Reluctantly, she agrees to help, knowing that it's her only chance of getting back to the present and her "real" life. What Miranda doesn't bargain for is finding true love . . . with no acting required.


My Review:





My rating: 1 of 5 stars



Now, normally, I love time travel books, and I love Shakespeare.  So, when I read the synopsis of the book, I thought that this was going to be a wonderful read.  Unfortunately, this book did not meet my standards for either category. 

I did not enjoy this book, so I did not finish this book, and let me tell you why. 

·         Miranda’s character was whiney, demanding, and just plain annoying.  I didn’t find her as appealing as the synopsis would possibly make her.
  
·         The lack of differences about modern times to Elizabethan times wasn’t even approached.  At least in other time travel books they bring up issues like plumbing, clothing, food, etc.  There was very little mention in the differences other than in passing. 

·         I found it disturbing how nonchalant Miranda was at the idea of seducing Shakespeare.  I’m sorry, that is not an everyday subject and shouldn’t be approached like a discussion on what is for lunch.

·         I felt that it was a bit bothersome that Miranda still spoke with a lot of modern lingo, while everyone else spoke Elizabethan English.  Really?  I mean, it really stood out like a sore thumb. 

·       I felt that there was little flow to the novel, though in some places it flowed better than others.  But all the deceit, planning seduction, and trying to figure out the mystery within the novel doesn’t help keep the flow going. 

Overall, I can’t recommend this book.  Will I ever try and read it again?  Probably not. 


Happy Reading!


Cana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for wanting to comment... I'll promise I'll do my best to respond to all of you!