Tuesday, August 7, 2012

ARC Review: Redemption by Veronique Launier


Description:

Guillaume: For five hundred years I’ve existed as a gargoyle. Perched atop an old Montreal church, I’ve watched idly as humanity wanders by. With the witch Marguerite gone, there is no one left to protect, nothing to care about. I never planned to feel again. But then a girl released me from my stone restraints, allowing me to return as a seventeen-year-old human boy. I must find out all I can about this girl’s power...

Aude: Getting attacked twice in as many days is strange in itself, but even stranger is the intriguing guy I keep running into. There’s something so familiar about him, like a primal drum rhythm from my dreams. But spending time together only raises more questions—about my heritage, a native Mohawk prophecy... and an unearthly magic threatening our city.

My Review:


My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is lovely little story is about Aude (pronounce like “Ode”) and Guilliame.  Set in Montreal, Canada and mixed in with French and Native Indian magic, this story keeps you going as you try to figure out who Aude is, what Guilliame is actually thinking, and who is in need of actual redemption. 

Told in Aude’s and Guilliame’s points of view, it was clearly labled (YAY!) to help prevent confusion about whose POV I was reading.  I learned that I like Guilliame’s POV better than Aude’s, probably because Guilliame’s is only guilt ridden (and a bit angst-y) while Aude’s is a bit more “Am I going crazy like my mom?  I must, I must!”  Not a big fan of Am I/Aren’t I going crazy club. 

I think the story is ok, but it becomes a better story once you reach the halfway point.  Partly because the whole “I’m crazy” is off the table, but also because you finally are starting to see some deeper development in the main characters.  They are no longer just focused in, but are now focusing outside of themselves towards each other. 

I loved the whole mythology of gargoyles being used in this book.  I know, it is cliché, but it could have just been as easily vampires, werewolves or fairies.  But instead, to give a little shakeup for the YA category, Ms. Launier goes left field and gives us a YA book about gargoyles.  I loved it!  It definitely was a refreshing break to prior said supernaturals. 

I also really enjoyed how Ms. Launier included Native Indian mythology and the blending of two cultures. 

The only thing I really had a problem with was how the story kept going after it could have ended.  One big climax is always good.  When you get closer to 3, it is a bit of overkill.  Maybe it could have ended with “Terra Cotta”, and left the extra stuff for the next books.  Oh well, it still wasn’t bad. 

Overall, this is a good story, and I do recommend this book.  I do look forward to reading more by Ms. Launier.



Happy Reading!


Cana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for wanting to comment... I'll promise I'll do my best to respond to all of you!