Sunday, June 10, 2012

The Awakening of Leeowyn Blake by Mary Parker

Description:


I'm a normal teenager. I have a normal teenage life with normal teenage problems. The summer is my heaven. I live with my mom during the summer months. We stay in her tiny condo in Jacksonville, Florida. My parents split up when I was little. I'm not sure why. My mom never talks about it. Whatever it was, it was bad enough to make my mom pack me up in the middle of the night when I was four years old and run to my Gran's condo. My mom got the condo after Gran died. From that time on all I had known my entire life was beach life. Until four years ago. Until my uncle found me.


My Review:




My rating: 4 of 5 stars


“You’re different.  You used to be a blazing sunset.  You use to take my breath away.  It was like reaching my hand into a bag full of lightning that was stolen from a thunderstorm.  I touch you now and I don’t feel anything.  Except fear.  And confusion.”

Excerpt from The Awakening of Leeowyn Blake

I started reading this book, thinking it was going to be another “Harry Potter” like book.  Let’s admit it, there are tons of those out there.  But surprisingly, this was not one of those books. 

I love how this book starts out with an open mystery. Granted, it is solved by the halfway point of the book, but it is great all the same.  I mean, I kept asking myself who is Leeowyn Blake?  What is it that makes her so special?  And as you go along, those questions may get answered, but others replace them. 

I loved the explanation about the Realms, myths, and such.  Very creative twist on explaining things.  I especially love the explanation of “magic”.  It makes this book not quiet unrealistic.

I just love the cover of this book!  It is so freakishly mysterious, plus it is awesome how it perfectly depicts the book and the character of Leeowyn!  Kudos on the cover!

I though the characterization was great.  Leeowyn was a believable character, and you kind of drooled over Alex.  I think that Peach was the most fantastical and the most easily identifiable character.  I automatically knew who she was when I first read about her. 

The only thing that I really didn’t like about the book was the resolution… Or rather, the lack of one.  I felt like I was left hanging on the edge of a cliff, waiting to see what would happen.  Ugh, not my favorite feeling in the world.

I will admit the first 9 or so chapters were a bit confusing for me. There is a lot of flipping back and forth from the past to the present, which without a lot of specifying can get confusing.  But once you hit chapter 11, the consistency and the flow of this book are amazing.

I highly recommend this book, and I look forward to reading more by Ms. Blake. 



Happy Reading!


Cana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for wanting to comment... I'll promise I'll do my best to respond to all of you!