Sunday, January 13, 2013

ARC: The Water Witch by Juliet Dark



Description:

"You have only to call my name to bring me back", he whispered, his breath hot in my ear. "You have only to love me to make me human". Callie McFay is the guardian of the last gateway between the world of Faerie and mankind. Seduced by a powerful incubus demon, she has succeeded in banishing Liam to the Borderlands but he still haunts her dreams, tempting her with the knowledge of how to bring him back. But loving an incubus usually ends in death for a human. For her own sake Callie must learn to control her desires and ensure Liam remains trapped for all eternity in his watery prison. Only there is a more dangerous creature than Liam in the Borderlands. The Water Witch is also looking for a way back...

Review:

The Water Witch by Juliet Dark
3 out of 5

So first off, the first, 120-150 pages reminded me why I have a hard time reading Ms. Dark’s last book, Demon Lover.  There is a slow flow that is almost too slow, and it has way too many details! 

Callie is a whiney character who has guilt issues, as well as other issues that make her irritating.  Now, she does have some redeeming qualities:  Her loyalty, her willingness to learn, her stubbornness, all of that makes her a palatable character, but nothing more.  She is also a relatable character because of her constantly returning to her “unhealthy” relationship with Liam.  We’ve all had those kinds of relationships, so it does make her more relatable. 

Duncan Laird bothered me from the start.  He seemed too good to be true and too conveniently appeared when Callie needed a tutor.  And in these books, there is no such thing as a coincident.  Plus, look at his name (all you baby name books who know the meanings...), Ms. Dark literally sets it up for us to realize SOMETHING IS NOT RIGHT!

Bill the Handyman and Liam the Incubus.  Sort of saw this coming… But on Bill, I loved how he behaved.  Also I think that Liam had finally figured out things, and truly loves Callie with his whole being. 

Ralph the Mouse:  I want one!  I love Ralph and the way he seems to be smarter than Callie a lot of the time just reiterates how dense she is.  Plus, he loves to read!  What better kind of pet/familiar is there for a reader?

The chaos between the Grove and IMP, the Elves/Nephiliums, and the potential doors to Faeirie all being closed seems to help balance out Callie’s emotional chaos.  I will admit that I enjoyed learning more about Faeirie mythology according to Ms. Dark.

I HATE cliffhangers!  And this book has a huge one (like giant elephant huge), which just sets it all up for book 3.  Now, I will probably have to read book 3 because I need a resolution!  But I’m hoping, deep down inside that the next book will be better than the last 2 books.

So do I recommend this book?  Yes, it is an okay book.  But will I re-read it?  Nope. 


Happy Reading!

Cana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for wanting to comment... I'll promise I'll do my best to respond to all of you!