Thursday, January 31, 2013

A Shade of Vampire by Bella Forrest



Description:

On the evening of Sofia Claremont's seventeenth birthday, she is sucked into a nightmare from which she cannot wake.
A quiet evening walk along a beach brings her face to face with a dangerous pale creature that craves much more than her blood. 
She is kidnapped to an island where the sun is eternally forbidden to shine.
An island uncharted by any map and ruled by the most powerful vampire coven on the planet. She wakes here as a slave, a captive in chains. 
Sofia's life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn when she is the one selected out of hundreds of girls to join the harem of Derek Novak, the dark royal Prince. 
Despite his addiction to power and obsessive thirst for her blood, Sofia soon realizes that the safest place on the island is within his quarters, and she must do all within her power to win him over if she is to survive even one more night.
Will she succeed? ...or is she destined to the same fate that all other girls have met at the hands of the Novaks?

Review:

A Shade of Vampire by Bella Forrest
4.5 out of 5

So I put both covers up, because I couldn't decide which one I preferred.... 

Ok, so when I read the title, you know where my mind went?  Yep… 50 Shades of Gray.  BUT! Wait a moment!  It isn’t one of those!  Thankfully, I read the description and decided that I HAD TO READ IT!  And am I glad I did.   This book has a lot of elements that I loved, some elements that I liked, and only 1 thing that I really, truly despise. 

So, what do I love?

  • I loved the characters!  Sophia and Derek were both likable characters, and you really want them to have their happily-ever-after, as both feel that they don’t deserve one.  They each also seem to balance each other out, and I love that when characters can do that.
  • I loved how the story line was so unique.  It was really quite refreshing.
  • The idea of the Blood Shade, an island of eternal night, is pretty cool.  Though, I think it would be harder to keep track of the days, weeks, and years that would keep passing, but hey, I don’t live there, so I think it is still pretty cool.


What I liked:

  • I liked that this was an easy read.  I mean, only 79 pages, and it was done.  I also liked the flow of the novel.  It was easy to follow (minus the prologue, which almost seemed redundant), and was easy to get into.  Though, I do feel like a chapter or two were missing.  I felt like I missed something, but heck, overall, it is a great book!
  • I liked that the book alternated between Sophia’s & Derek’s POVs.  Again, they balance each other out, and that is nice.  It is rare that I like alternating POVs, so it is nice when it is done well enough that it doesn't bother me. 


What I Despised: 

I HATE “To Be Continued” endings in ANY STORY!  Now, this one thing doesn’t color my view towards the novel, I mean, it is a great book.  BUT!  A “To Be Continued” ending makes me grit my teeth and feel a bit frustrated that I am now going to have to WAIT for the next installment!  Ugh!

Overall, this is a good novel.  I am really looking forward to reading more by Ms. Forrest, and I definitely recommend this book for a good read!


Happy Reading!

Cana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for wanting to comment... I'll promise I'll do my best to respond to all of you!