Sunday, July 31, 2011

The Girl in the Steel Corset by Kady Cross

Description

In 1897 England, sixteen-year-old Finley Jayne has no one except the "thing" inside her. When a young lord tries to take advantage of Finley, she fights back. And wins. But no normal Victorian girl has a darker side that makes her capable of knocking out a full-grown man with one punch... Only Griffin King sees the magical darkness inside her that says she's special, says she's one of them. The orphaned duke takes her in from the gaslit streets against the wishes of his band of misfits. Emily, who has her own special abilities and an unrequited love for Sam, who is part robot; and Jasper, an American cowboy with a shadowy secret. Griffin's investigating a criminal called The Machinist, the mastermind behind several recent crimes by automatons. Finley thinks she can help-and finally be a part of something, finally fit in. But The Machinist wants to tear Griff's little company of strays apart, and it isn't long before trust is tested on all sides. At least Finley knows whose side she's on, even if it seems no one believes her.


My Review

The Girl in the Steel Corset (Steampunk Chronicles, #1)

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


So I'll admit it first, because I don't need others to tell me I have a problem, but I'm a Cover Whore. If the cover doesn't catch my attention, I'm most likely not to EVER read a synopsis of the book. I know, that is judging a book by its cover, but I don't care.

Now, to the actual review. So if you are not familiar with steampunk, let me tell you, it is hot! Think Victorian England with a bit more yum factor with the technology and the clothing... Not as prim and proper and the good Queen V would like it.

For me, this book was delicious,just in the fact that it refered to several classic books, which might encourage readers to get a bit more familiar with them. Frankenstein and Dr Jekyll & Mr. Hyde are just two of the books referred to, and they do add something to the books.

So this group of specially gifted teenagers are trying to save the world from the evil Machinist, and in the process they learn more about their past and their possible futures. I love how even in Steampunk Victorian London, the teens are still texting. You can't escape it! Also, how the story mores quickly, with little down time to bore you.

I did love the romance that kept intertwining through the book, though I must say the gentlemen in the book seemed to be bits of dunderheads in not speaking up, and the women were a bit too "Oh, I don't know if he likes me, but I like him", plus the whole 2 love triangles between the 6 main characters kind of brought on a headache.

Great read, and highly recommend.  Looking forward to the 2nd in this series.

Cana

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for wanting to comment... I'll promise I'll do my best to respond to all of you!