Monday, September 17, 2012

Lara by Bertrice Small


My rating: 1 of 5 stars

Description:

For Lara, a half faerie, half human, her beauty is a blessing and a curse. Sold into a Pleasure House by her father, she commits herself to a lifetime of servitude. But even in a place where pleasure is not censured but encouraged, her otherworldly beauty proves too much for her suitors.
When Lara escapes, she is introduced to a new way of life, and an incredible man who opens her eyes to the growing unrest among their people…and the extraordinary destiny that awaits her. Lara will journey the depths of desire and despair to find a love that will last an eternity—a love that will change Hetar forever.

My Review:


This is the longest, most boring book ever, and I’ve had 7 years of college and graduate work to have it go against!   It was overly descriptive to the point where I was skipping pages of traveling, working, and conversations, and I didn’t even miss anything. 
Now, other than it being overly descriptive and boring, there were a few more reasons I did not enjoy this book.
·         Lara was not a very believable character to me.  The attempt to make her both innocent and a temptress was an epic failure.  I think if she had started off completely innocent and became more worldly/ knowledgeable as the book progressed, it would have made her at least a bit more believable. 
·         The term “manroot” is ridiculous!  What the heck?  I’ve read enough bodice rippers to have read a number of weird, unique and just plain out there references to the penis, but that one was horrible.  The only thing I kept imagining was a ginger root freshly dug up (so dirty, hairy, and completely unappealing).  I think this author needed a thesaurus to come up with some new terminology or slang for the penis.
Overall, I did not like this book.  I cannot recommend it, and I will not be reading any other books by this author any time soon.


Happy Reading!

Cana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for wanting to comment... I'll promise I'll do my best to respond to all of you!