Monday, September 15, 2014

Die for Me by Amy Plum


Description:

In the City of Lights, two star-crossed lovers battle a fate that is destined to tear them apart again and again for eternity.

When Kate Mercier's parents die in a tragic car accident, she leaves her life--and memories--behind to live with her grandparents in Paris. For Kate, the only way to survive her pain is escaping into the world of books and Parisian art. Until she meets Vincent.

Mysterious, charming, and devastatingly handsome, Vincent threatens to melt the ice around Kate's guarded heart with just his smile. As she begins to fall in love with Vincent, Kate discovers that he's a revenant--an undead being whose fate forces him to sacrifice himself over and over again to save the lives of others. Vincent and those like him are bound in a centuries-old war against a group of evil revenants who exist only to murder and betray. Kate soon realizes that if she follows her heart, she may never be safe again.

Review:

Die for Me by Amy Plum
5 out 5

Now, let's take a moment before I review this book to talk about the cover.  I mean, LOOK AT IT!  It is gorgeous.  Like a frameable piece of art.  And I love that!  And it actually appears to be relevant to the actual story!  Way to go Publishing company!  

So, the prologue had me scared!  I hate angel books!  Especially YA angel books... They are so bleh for me.  So when I read the book, and discovered that they are revenants (which just means one who comes back, but they aren't exactly angels or zombies... Definitely not vampires), I breathed a sigh of relief.  So glad it wasn't another angel book!

Wow!  we see grief in a lot of books all the time.  But this time I think this is one of the first books where the character's grief reminds me of my own grief when I lost someone.  And that was hard to read at first.  But it did help me understand the character better, as well, in a way, heal myself from my own grief.  And that was a nice surprise.  And kudos to the author for showing us a healthy grieving process.  Because, Kate's grieving process didn't put herself at risk or other people around her at risk.  

Oh the suspense of who/what Vincent is.  While Kate tries to figure it out, you are too.  Too many clues without any conclusive answer until Kate finds Vincent.  And when you finally find out what he is, you kinda feel like you would have never thought about that.  I found that very refreshing.  

So, the ONE thing I didn't like was how Kate kept calling the revenants monsters.  They weren't monsters to me.  And they really shouldn't have been called that.  I preferred to call them immortals if I wasn't going to call them revenants.  

Georgia seems to be a neat character.  The big sister who does all those cool things, but still makes time for her little sister.  But she makes poor decisions and gets herself into dangerous situations unknowingly.  Not the best role model and that was a bit disappointing.  

So, I did like that the revenants did have a few "gifts".  The calming touch, being able to be volant, and the ability to possess a body is kinda cool tricks.  I think it was also cool that as a volant, they would/could nave premonitions to save people.  That seemed like a great thing to save people. 

I absolutely LOVED Charlotte!  The perfect mix of girlie and tomboy.  Plus, since she is the only girl in the immediate revenant club at the house, it definitely helps us get a different perspective about being a revenant.  Plus, I think that it helps Kate; I think she really needs a girl friend, a spunky sidekick, and someone other than her sister to count on.  

So, it did make me wonder about Papy.  What does he know about the Numa and the Revenants?  And what might he be hiding?  I think I'm only curious because he did really seem to perk up at the word "numa".  

I love Jules a lot.  The artist-warrior who is a flirt was just a plain great character.  I definitely would have enjoyed more time with him.  Can't wait to see him in the next book. 

Oh, the stupidity of youth.  Kate was happy and then caused strife because of her fears.  And poor Vincent.  Through it all, he tried to respect her even though it hurt him.  Thank goodness that stupidity didn't last long at all.  

Lucien is pretty much the mortal (or is it the immortal) enemy of Vincent and the other revenants.  He isn't seen much, let alone heard of until halfway through the book.  yet even then we don't know that he is the villain of the book until almost the end of the book.  For me, that part of the story was really unnecessary.  I think that since he wasn't really necessary for the first part of the story, then he wasn't really necessary at all.  

I loved what Vincent said to Kate when they finally made up, how he didn't want to rush, how as much as he wanted to get to the "main event", he wanted to take his time getting to know Kate.  No rushing.  That made me feel warm and fuzzy!

Poor Charles!  The burden he carries as a revenant is harder for him than most.  I hate that he felt that the numa were his only option to end it.  I'm glad that he made it, though we might not see him much for a while.  

Wow!  What a battle!  Lucien, Volant Vincent and Kate battling for survival .  The whole thing kept me on the edge of my seat.  I didn't know how it would end, but I couldn't wait to see victor.  

The birthday celebration for Kate's 17th birthday was amazing, beautiful, and completely unbelievable.  But I think that is what happens when you date a man from WWII.  Still, the whole thing was beautiful, and I love it.  

Overall, this was a beautiful novel.  I highly recommend it.

Happy Reading!

Cana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for wanting to comment... I'll promise I'll do my best to respond to all of you!