Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Lover Revealed by J. R. Ward

Description:

Butch O'Neal is a fighter by nature. A hard-living ex-homicide cop, he's the only human ever to be allowed in the inner circle of the Black Dagger Brotherhood. And he wants to go even deeper into the vampire world-to engage in the turf war with the lessers. His heart belongs to a female vampire, Marissa, an aristocratic beauty who's way out of his league. And if he can't have her, then at least he can fight side by side with the Brothers. 

But fate curses him with the very thing he wants. When Butch sacrifices himself to save a civilian vampire from the slayers, he falls prey to the darkest force in the war. Left for dead, he's found by a miracle, and the Brotherhood calls on Marissa to bring him back, though even her love may not be enough to save him.

My Review:




My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Butch is the only human actually with the Brotherhood, but he can’t help but feel like more of a mascot than an actual participating member of the team.  After he kidnapped and tortured, he tries to heal, but something more is going on.  Something that will change the war
Marissa has always felt different from the rest of the aristocrats.  Try as she might to rise above it, she can’t help but long for the difference that Butch provides.  But will the choices that were laid in motion before they came together come between them, or will they finally get to be together?

Okay, this book… Not my favorite.  I didn’t really like Butch’s character through the other books, so I wasn’t too excited about this book.  For me, this book was primarily giving up assumptions and fear of loss.  Butch had lost his sister to death, and his whole family because he was different.  He longs for a family, but doesn’t believe that he can have that.  Marissa has been an outcast for so long, that when she finally realizes that she only wants to be with Butch, she is frightened of loosing him. 

I did like Marissa’s character a lot.  Dealing with her past, she had to learn to stand up for not only herself, but in the end, she was standing with the women and young whose males were beating them.  She starts a safe house, and even stands up to her brother (who seems a bit of a pansy ass to me…. But that is just my opinion.). 

There are a lot of chapters that are lesser focused, which I’m not a big fan of.  So I will admit, I didn’t really “read”, but rather skimmed through those parts.  Honestly, the lesser chapters seemed to move so much slower than everything else, it just plain drove me nuts.

I will say that it was a surprisingly better book than I was expecting, and I did like the twist of events (both past and present) that allowed Butch to fully join the Brotherhood.  Though, I think the glossary needs to be fixed… Can’t say why, it is a spoiler!

Overall, I think this was a good book, and I do recommend this book. 


Happy Reading!


Cana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for wanting to comment... I'll promise I'll do my best to respond to all of you!