Monday, June 17, 2013

Audio Book: Nice Girls Don’t Have Fangs by Molly Harper



Description:

Maybe it was the Shenanigans gift certificate that put her over the edge. When children's librarian and self-professed nice girl Jane Jameson is fired by her beastly boss and handed twenty-five dollars in potato skins instead of a severance check, she goes on a bender that's sure to become Half Moon Hollow legend. On her way home, she's mistaken for a deer, shot, and left for dead. And thanks to the mysterious stranger she met while chugging neon-colored cocktails, she wakes up with a decidedly unladylike thirst for blood.
Jane is now the latest recipient of a gift basket from the Newly Undead Welcoming Committee, and her life-after-lifestyle is taking some getting used to. Her recently deceased favorite aunt is now her ghostly roommate. She has to fake breathing and endure daytime hours to avoid coming out of the coffin to her family. She's forced to forgo her favorite down-home Southern cooking for bags of O negative. Her relationship with her sexy, mercurial vampire sire keeps running hot and cold. And if all that wasn't enough, it looks like someone in Half Moon Hollow is trying to frame her for a series of vampire murders. What's a nice undead girl to do?

Review:

Nice Girls Don’t Have Fangs by Molly Harper
5 out of 5

First off, let me just say how much I enjoy Molly Harper’s snarkiness.  Her characters say and do things with a snarkiness and sarcasm that I can totally relate to!  I personally think it just makes her books that much better because I know that if I was in her books, I would so fit in. J

Poor Jane!  First it was getting fired from a job she loved, and then getting shot, and then she was turned.  Life had not gone the way she thought it would.  Now she is having to learn (the hard way sometimes) what it means to t be a vampire.  Add to that, someone is trying to kill her, and her life seems to be one big chaotic mess!

Gabriel is one hot vampire.  He sounds like a wonderfully delicious Southern gentleman with a vampiric overly protective streak!  And I love that about him.  Now if only he would explain things instead of being so closed mouth. 

I automatically loved Zeb as soon as I heard that he loved Doctor Who.  Any character that likes/loves Doctor Who is automatically AWESOME!  But he became one of my favorite characters because of his actions.  He was scared at first of what had happened to Jane, but then worked through it by stabbing her, and then finding a support group.  I thought it was great that he stood by her when she wasn’t sure her family would. 

I found Dick Cheney hilarious!  The dirty-minded, dirty-talking, bad-boy vampire really made me giggle through the book.  What made him even better is because we all have that one (or 2 or 3) friend that is the pervert of the group.  You always need one of those in a group to keep serious things from being too serious.

Jolene is honestly my favorite character ever!  Just because she is like no one I’ve ever met or seen.  Honestly, she is unbelievable but hysterically real.  I love that!

I did not, and still do not, like Missy.  From the get go, I felt that she was fake, and I don’t like people like that.  Anyone who is that overly sweet and has the tendency to call people “sug” (or any other pet name without permission) is not to be trusted.  But I will say it was nice to know I was justified. 

The call center of telemarketers was hilarious… Sad, but hilarious.  I could totally relate to the stress and irritation in that environment (probably because I work as a dispatcher for an alarm call center and I get mistaken for a telemarketer all the time!).

My one question is, what is a blood mate?  I don’t remember them explaining that, but since Gabriel said it and since he is so closed mouthed, I don’t know what it is about. 

Overall, I loved this book.  Really looking forward to continuing this series, and reading others by Ms. Harper!  Highly recommended!


Happy Reading!

Cana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for wanting to comment... I'll promise I'll do my best to respond to all of you!