Thursday, October 11, 2012

Audio Book: Red-headed Stepchild by Jaye Wells




Description:

In a world where being of mixed-blood is a major liability, Sabina Kane has the only profession fit for an outcast: assassin. But, her latest mission threatens the fragile peace between the vampire and mage races and Sabina must scramble to figure out which side she's on. She's never brought her work home with her---until now. 

This time, it's personal.


My Review:


My rating: 5 of 5 stars

What a great audio book!  I mean, it was just a great book period, but I think getting to hear it as an audio book was great (it at least gave me an idea on how to pronounce some of the names!). 

Sabine is such a badass character!  And I loved it.  As an assassin, she is the best of the best.  But as a ½ vampire and ½ mage, she is still trying to figure out who she is and even struggles to accept herself.  I think that once she figures out how important she is, she will be more powerful than even she realizes.

Giguhl, aka Mr. Giggles, (and yes, I had to look up the spelling for this name… How in the heck did you think I figured it out?) is the best demon EVER!  I think he was a very funny character who just brought an interesting twist to everything going on.  I know after he shifted into a cat, I was rolling on the floor with laughter.  I know I have personally said “I will not kill to the demon cat” several times about my own evil minions. So I can definitely sympathize with Sabina.  And can I just say that I almost cried when he went back to Hell… I just wanted him to stick around forever!

Adam Lazarus, the mysterious mage and Mr. Sexy incarnate was my favorite character.  I wish that Sabina had just vamp speeded him to the nearest bed and had her way with him!  But on a completely non-sexual level, I think he holds a lot of secrets, some of which might lead to a turning point for Sabina.  Definitely think some of the secrets include her in the prophecies. 

I think my favorite character of all was Vinca.  She was the peppy hippie cheerleader with an occasional slutty side that would come shining through.  She was so nice, and she always wanted to be helpful no matter what, but she was way too perky for Sabina.  I hated to see her go, and I wish that something had happened to change it. 

This book is full of twist that you may not (or you might be smarter than me and see them coming) see coming at you.  I thought they were great, and kept the story moving along well.

I LOVED Ms. Well’s idea to make something as simple as hair color be the mark of a vampire.  Very original in my opinion.  On top of that, I think her version of the vampire/mage/fae/demon myth was definitely different and unique. 

In regards to me reading it in audio book format, I think that having a magical being chart/glossary would be helpful for all of you visual learners.  Plus, this glossary really needs to have a chart on councils, and primary locations for these beings.  Just for reference points, you know.

Overall, I think this was a great book, and I am looking forward to reading the other books in this series.

Happy Reading!

Cana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for wanting to comment... I'll promise I'll do my best to respond to all of you!