Sunday, December 4, 2011

Virals by Kathy Reichs

Description:


Tory Brennan, niece of acclaimed forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan (of the Bones novels and hit TV show), is the leader of a ragtag band of teenage "sci-philes" who live on a secluded island off the coast of South Carolina. When the group rescues a dog caged for medical testing on a nearby island, they are exposed to an experimental strain of canine parvovirus that changes their lives forever. 

As the friends discover their heightened senses and animal-quick reflexes, they must combine their scientific curiosity with their newfound physical gifts to solve a cold-case murder that has suddenly become very hot if they can stay alive long enough to catch the killer's scent. 

Fortunately, they are now more than friends they're a pack. They areVirals



My Review:


Virals
My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Living and working on an island off the coast of South Carolina, Tory Brennan lives with her newly found father. With her group of friends, they explore the island, discovering the wildlife, and just growing up. But when a scientist decides to kidnap one of the wild dogs of the island and infect it with a new rare strain of Parvo, Tory and her friends decide to take action and save this dog. Little did they know that this is just the beginning of an unbelievable adventure that will change their very DNA, and lead them to a mystery of a cold case.
This is the first book I’ve read by Kathy Reichs. I really enjoy the television show “Bones”, and so I decided that I was going to read one of Ms. Reichs’ books. I know I probably should have started with the actual “Bones” series, but instead I started with this enjoyable YA spin off.
I really enjoyed this book for 2 main reasons. First, the play of personalities between Tory and her friends was great! They all have similarities and differences that create a believable group of teenagers trying to figure out what is going with their own bodies (beyond the hormones :/), as well as trying to grow up at the same time. Secondly, I enjoyed this novel for the fact that is located in my home state. Though I live in the upstate of South Carolina, I am very familiar with the coastline. I enjoyed the descriptions of an area, a town, and a people that I am familiar with.
Though the idea of a type of virus that isn’t transferable from one species to another (i.e. Parvo) is hard for me to believe in my non-scientist mind, this book made it easily believable as well as understandable. I really enjoyed how these teenagers used the knowledge their parents passed on to them to solve a mystery.
There were a few times that I found the dialogue and flow of the book to be lagging, but those were easily remedied and were quick to pick up.
Overall, I enjoyed this book, and am looking forward to reading the second book in this series. Highly recommend.




Happy Reading!


Cana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for wanting to comment... I'll promise I'll do my best to respond to all of you!