Sunday, October 16, 2011

Spindle's End by Robin McKinley

Description:


All the creatures of the forest and field and riverbank knew the infant was special. She was the princess, spirited away from the evil fairy Pernicia on her name-day. But the curse was cast: Rosie was fated to prick her finger on the spindle of a spinning wheel and fall into a poisoned sleep-a slumber from which no one would be able to rouse her.


My Review:



My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Rosie was just an infant when she was whisked away from her own name day at the palace. Raised to believe that she is just a local fairy's niece, she has no idea that she is actually the princess cursed to fall into a deep sleep on her 21st birthday by pricking her finger on the spindle of a spinning wheel.


In this beautiful retelling of sleeping beauty, you can't help but love Rosie (sleeping beauty), because she isn't your average fairy tale heroine. She is strong willed, course (she works in a smithy), she can talk to animals, and she is more of a tomboy than a regal princess. But you love her just as she is. Personally, I love Rosie, because she is the character I'd love to be.


The descriptions and the animals are the just one of the great reasons to read this book. You can be sure that you won't be bored, especially when you find out who the 21st fairy is... Of course, no spoilers here!


Highly recommend this book.

Happy Reading!


Cana

1 comment:

  1. I really like fairytale retellings. This sounds like one I would like to add to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for wanting to comment... I'll promise I'll do my best to respond to all of you!