Saturday, May 25, 2013

A Re-Review: The Host by Stephanie Meyers


The Host (The Host, #1)

Description:

Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. The earth has been invaded by a species that take over the minds of human hosts while leaving their bodies intact. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, didn't expect to find its former tenant refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

As Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of Jared, a human who still lives in hiding, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she's never met. Reluctant allies, Wanderer and Melanie set off to search for the man they both love.

Featuring one of the most unusual love triangles in literature, THE HOST is a riveting and unforgettable novel about the persistence of love and the essence of what it means to be human.

Review:

The Host by Stephanie Meyers
5 out of 5

So let me start off by saying that I read this book the first time about 5.5 years ago.  I was told by 3 different friends that I HAD TO READ THIS BOOK!  Now, normally, this would immediately put me off about reading a particular book (plus after attempting to read Twilight I thought Stephanie Meyers had all the potential to be the suckiest writer in the world and was a supporter of unhealthy ideas that a woman can’t be whole without a man), but I decided that just this once I’d fall into book peer pressure. 

And I’m glad I did.  It is now one of my annual re-read books, along with The Blue Sword and Beauty by Robin McKinley and a few others.  So I decided this year to read it a bit earlier so that I could remember what I loved about the book before going to see the movie (no, I’m not expecting them to turn the almost 700 page book into a completely correct, word-for-word movie).  Yes, I’ve already reviewed it before, but here is my second look review.

BLOGGER/READER NOTE:  Since this about my 5th read of this book, I’ll tell you the truth… After the first time of reading it, I always skip the first 8 chapters.  I find them extremely boring.  The story for me doesn’t really pick up and become more interesting until she gets lost in the desert. So this review is of Chapter 9 to the end.

So, I think that Melanie and Wanderer as a pair thrown together definitely give a new meaning to talking to yourself… only I guess it wouldn’t be considered that.  Maybe it is multiple personalities, with one personality having no control and being really, really mouthy.  I do enjoy their internal/external debates and arguments. 

I also enjoy the changes in both of them.  Melanie is a strong, independent, and willing to sacrifice everything to protect her brother and Jared, while Wanderer is strong in a different way.  She is wise and promotes peace over violence.  I enjoyed both starting to question things and the way they are. Together they both learn from each other as well as learn from themselves.  There is such character growth and I love that!

Uncle Jeb is one of my favorite characters.  He seems so open and willing to give Wanderer a chance.  How he knew, I don’t know, but his utter faith that Melanie still existed within Wanderer was inspiring.  I also love how crazy he seems, but how sane he actually is.

Ian is an awesome wrench into this invasion-of-the-body-snatcher story.  Making this a story about a very confusing love triangle. Definitely a first in any book I’ve read before or since.

I also liked the fact that Ian was the only person to have empathy on what it could mean to be a Soul.  Of all people, I really enjoyed that it was him. 

I really enjoy how Wanderer figured out what to do to help one of the last remaining group of humans.  By getting food, medicine, clothes, etc., she helped set them up on the way to survive beyond the meager existence they were living. 

I think the final chapter was great.  There was a resolution for everyone, and that was good.  But better yet, there was a surprise at the end that could be expanded upon, but didn’t have to be.  It gave it all an ending of hope beyond just survival.  It was the hope of living and enjoying life again.

After all that is said and done, this book makes you think.  Think about who you are, why you do things, and who you want to be and who you want to be with.  It is also a great story to remember what it means to sacrifice everything (even your own life) for another because you love them.

I highly recommend this book.  And personally, I don’t think that Ms. Meyers needs to add anything else to this book by making it a series.

For my previous review, click here

Happy Reading!

Cana

1 comment:

  1. I had the same experience with Twilight and like you have decided to give her one more chance with The Host. I just haven't done it yet...maybe I'll bump it up the list.

    Thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for wanting to comment... I'll promise I'll do my best to respond to all of you!