Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

Description:


"In a future world, vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity."Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.

Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of "them." The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked--and given the ultimate choice. Die...or become one of the monsters.

Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.

Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend--a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.

But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what--and who--is worth dying for.



My Review:




My rating: 4 of 5 stars



In a post-apocalyptic world, there are 3 things that you know for sure:  1. The vampires only care for the humans because they are the only form of food a vampire can survive on; 2. Outside of the Vampire Cities, there is nothing but wilderness and the Rabids; 3. It is always better to die than become a rabid. 

To me, the Rabids (a mutated form of vampire) is like a zombie that is infected with rabies.  They stay away from water, a bite (if they don’t eat you first) will make you a Rabid and this includes any animal they bite too.  And their never ending thirst is only surpassed by their loss of humanity.

The interplay between Zeke and Allie and the interplay between Allie’s human side and her vampire side are very interesting.  They definitely give a certain flow to it that you can’t help but get caught up in.  You wonder if they could make it work?  What is Zeke going to do when/if he discovers that Allie is no longer human.  What about the rest of the group and what they might think once they realize who and what Allie is?  Agh!  It just keeps you thinking.

I loved the discoveries that Allie made.  First, by finding out who the vampire who “saved” her by Turning her really was.  Second, what was actually outside the Vampire Cities.  Third, who Jeb was, and why he was running.  And finally, who she really was (my favorite).

I think it is a wonderful turn on the vampire myth.  Putting it into a dystopian world, what would happen and how we as humans might respond is very important towards our survival.

The only thing that bothered me was the ending.  It is so open. Will she survive?  Will Eden discover a cure for Rabidism?  What will happen to Kanin?  What will happen with Jackal?  AGH! Again with the questions!

This is the first book that I’ve read by Ms. Kagawa.  I thought it was remarkably well done, and I enjoyed it thoroughly.  I look forward to reading more by her.  I highly recommend this book!


Happy Reading!


Cana

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I am a new follower, I will need to check out this book! I'd love a follow back at http://endlessdaysofbooks.blogspot.com/

    Candace

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for wanting to comment... I'll promise I'll do my best to respond to all of you!