Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Old Magic by Marianne Curley

 Description
Jarrod Thornton is mesmerizing,
but Kate Warren doesn't know why.

The moment the new guy walks into the room, Kate senses something strange and intense about him. Something supernatural. Her instincts are proven correct a few minutes later when, bullied by his classmates, Jarrod unknowingly conjures up a freak thunderstorm inside their classroom.

Jarrod doesn't believe in the paranormal. When Kate tries to convince him that he has extraordinary powers that need to be harnessed, he only puts up with her "hocus pocus" notions because he finds her captivating. However, the dangerous, uncontrolled strengthening of his gift finally convinces Jarrod that he must take Kate's theories seriously. Together, they embark on a remarkable journey—one which will unravel the mystery that has haunted Jarrod's family for generations and pit the teens against immense forces in a battle to undo the past and reshape the future.

My Review

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Old Magic

This is your average boy meets girl, girl realizes boy is cursed, boy doesn't believe her until his family are paying the price, and boy and girl fixes the curse. Kate is a witch in training, who has some abandonment issues. Jarrod is a boy who has no belief in magic, and his family has had a string of bad luck, extreme bad luck.

So I orignally bought this book as a discount book at BAM. I was told that there was no one at the store who had read it, but I thought I'd still give it a try. Unfortunately, I was not as impressed as I thought I would be. It was a good book, don't get me wrong, but there was definitely points in the book where I could have put it down and not picked it back up.

The flow of the book was slow, and though the plot sounded interesting, I don't think it was well thought out on how to move the story along. There is a lot of hurt feelings, a lot of arguments, and a lot of "You're crazy" through out the book, up until the end.

It is an ok book if you are looking for an easy read, but otherwise, leave it at the bookstore.

Cana

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for wanting to comment... I'll promise I'll do my best to respond to all of you!